Stock Code: 2475
Description: An exceptional pair of George III carved border glass giltwood mirrors attributed to John Linnell. The central oval plate with divided mirrored outer slips each with beaded surround, the gadrooned outer frame surmounted with a two tiered urn with upspringing anthemion and rams’ heads to each side issuing husk chains and scrolling flowering acanthus vines, the frame suspending a similar acanthus clasp issuing scrolling flowering vines below.
Further Information: The design for a mirror frame by John Linnell, currently housed in the Victoria and Albert Museum, London, and illustrated in H. Haayward’s ‘The Drawings of John Linnell’, Furniture History, vol. V, 1969, displays many of the same design motifs, including the husk swags and scrolled acanthus found on this superb pair. Also worthy of note is the bordered plate which, although more foliate in its design is also found on the Linnell design at the V&A.
The son of a furniture maker, Linnell was born in 1729 and was an alumnus of St Martin’s Lane Academy. He took the skills he learnt here back to his father ‘s workshop and with the family firm well and truly thriving, the Linnell’s were soon able to move their business into Berkeley Square, where they enjoyed the patronage of some of the finest names in London.
Linnell’s furniture was notable for its ornate, Rococo design and the quality of its workmanship and in these mirrors we can see that he was certainly not a man who favoured understatement. Many pieces of Linnell’s furniture were purchased by the upper classes of the day, these examples still survive and have remained in wonderfully preserved condition over 250 years later.
Condition: Excellent: Minor old repairs, re-gilded and refreshed in places. Some sections of plate possibly replaced or re-silvered.
Country of Origin: England
Origin/Age: English, George III, circa 1775
Provenance: Private collection California USA, bought from Hyde Park Antiques, New York. Formerly from an important English collection, exported to the USA circa 1990.
Maker: Attributed to John Linnell
Dimensions: Height 82.00 inches (208.28cm) Width 34.00 inches (86.36cm) Depth 4.00 inches (10.16cm)