Stock Code: 2212
Description: An elegantly simple pair of early Chippendale period walnut side chairs, retaining excellent colour and patina throughout. The backs with a gentle serpentine shaped top rail with crisp leaf carved detailing along the top, the splat formed of four solid rectangular supports, curved and sweeping upwards in a vase shape, form a cloverleaf origin. The seats over stuffed and of a tapering rectangular shape, re-covered in a superb bronze silk damask. The chair is supported by solid walnut cabriole legs with trailing leaf carving to the knees and terminating in a ball and claw foot. The back legs of a simpler design, still beautifully curved and tapering down to a rectangular pad foot. Wonderful quality and elegant simplicity throughout.
Further Information: The Cleveland Museum of Art opened on June 6, 1916 after many years of planning. Its creation was made possible by Cleveland industrialists Hinman B. Hurlbut, John Huntington, and Horace Kelley, all of whom bequeathed money specifically for an art museum, as well as by Jeptha H. Wade II, whose Wade Park property was donated for the site. The endowments established by these founders continue to support the museum. The museum forms the focus of the city's Fine Arts Garden.
The elegant design of the seat back with the incorporation of the clover leaf detailing at the base closely corresponds to drawings in Thomas Chippendale's "The Gentleman & Cabinet Maker's Director" published in 1762.
Condition: Excellent. Possible minor old restorations, waxing. Recently recovered in a fine silk damask.
Country of Origin: England
Origin/Age: English, George II, circa 1750
Provenance: Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
Maker: In the manner of Thomas Chippendale
Dimensions: Height 36.50 inches (92.71cm) Width 23.50 inches (59.69cm) Depth 19.50 inches (49.53cm)